Monday 9 July 2012

LOG ENTRY #17 - Once Upon A Song

Everyone enjoys catching up up on movies, sleep, books, music etc. during the summer holidays. I was of course no exception.
Yesterday night, 1 a.m., I decided to watch one of the DVDs I had bought a few days ago. One of those
was "A Cinderella Story: Once Upon A Song"I'm pretty sure many people are face-palming themselves right now, going "Why the hell would you even think of a movie like that?!"
But as it was, I had been eyeing that movie in the store for quite some time, sizing it up; wondering if it was going to be worth my time. Now, since I had all the time in the world, why not?
And so I watched it.
To make a short story even shorter - it sucked. By the time, the final credits rolled, I was wondering how could one movie be so similar to another. And apart from the freakishly similiar details, how could one movie be so bad that it makes the person want to unsee it. And I don't even feel like I am exaggerating.   



The Selena Gomez-starrer, "Another Cinderella Story" was following the same storyline, except the choice of talent there, was dance.
Here - it was singing. How Original.

"Another Cinderella Story" was still pretty bearable. I mean, the actors were fairly OK and the portrayal of the whole Cinderella-concept didn't make you want to do something harmful. 




For one thing, I think Missi Pyle - playing Evil Stepmother a.k.a. Gail Van Ravensway - overdid it. What with her stupid quest to gain peace and fame, and the obsession with Hollywood and big houses and riches...
Lucy Hale playing Katie Gibbs a.k.a. 'Cinderella' is someone I can't really say anything. I haven't seen Pretty Little Liars, and it seems unfair to judge her acting just by watching this one movie.

Two scenes from the movie which were very memorable was the dance. The Indian-themed dance with the tabla and dhol music, and the flowy, chiffon belly dancer-esque outfits. It was dragged on too long for my taste. And the other scene was when Katie is locked out of the house, naked, by her little stepbrother. 
It was simply disturbing.
The only thing I liked about Prince Charming, played by Freddie Stroma, was his British accent. I just love British accents.

Something else I would dearly love to add, was my first impression of the movie. When the first scene came on, I knew the movie would be a disappointment, just because I saw Lucy singing and dancing, looking great, backed up by a couple of dancers... and I knew she was dreaming. Starting the movie with a dream was not a good idea. Especially since the movie's predecessor started in the exact same manner. Exact. 

Nothing much left to say about the movie, except, don't watch it. 







Photos were taken from:
en.wikipedia.org 
www.rsmoviedownloads.com









No comments:

Post a Comment